Cockroaches are one of the most disgusting pests that have proven they are survivalists. These pests will go to great lengths in order to survive and that includes infesting your home during the coldest months of the year. Luckily, there are some things that can be done to avoid cockroach infestations in the winter. A-Tex Pest Management is here to talk about some tips that will help you avoid cockroaches this winter.
Some Cockroaches Hibernate
If cockroaches don’t make their way into your home this winter, they will be looking for a place that will keep them warm enough that they can hibernate to make it until spring time. You should be aware of wood piles and other havens that may give them just enough warmth to help them survive. If you find them during the winter in these places and are able to destroy them, you will be happy in the spring when their presence isn’t as dominant.
Tips to Keep Cockroaches Out of Your Home this Winter
There are many measures that can be taken to keep cockroaches from thriving in your home this winter.
– Store Food Properly to Keep Roaches Out: All of the food found in your pantry needs to be stored in air tight containers to avoid attracting cockroaches. They will eat pretty much anything that you will eat; even after it has rotted. Storing your food properly is important.
– Clean Appliances to Deter Cockroaches: You should thoroughly clean large and small appliances including the oven, microwave and toaster. They are constantly looking for crumbs, and these places are often a jackpot for cockroaches.
– Don’t Leave Pet Food Out that Will Attract Roaches: You shouldn’t leave pet food out overnight. This is when cockroaches are the most active, and they will feed on your pet’s food if they can’t find anything else.
– Clean the Kitchen Before Bed to Prevent Roach Infestations: If you have spent the evening in your kitchen preparing food, it is important that you clean it up before you go to bed for the night. A dirty kitchen is a cockroach’s wildest dream. They are looking for dirty dishes and food preparation areas that may have any trace of food left behind.
– Vacuum & Sweep Regularly to Avoid Cockroaches: Get rid of leftover crumbs by vacuuming and sweeping your floors on a regular basis.
– Store Pots & Pans Upside Down: When your pots and pans are store upside down, cockroaches can’t craw around them and leave droppings or eggs in them.
– Use Bath Plugs to Keep Roaches from Coming Up Drains: Cockroaches will often gain entry into your home by climbing out of the drains in your bathroom. If the drains are plugged, they can’t get in.
– Seal Entry Points to Keep Roaches Out: Check under sinks, around electrical wiring and other areas that may be an entry point for cockroaches.
Cockroach Pest Inspections, Treatment & More in Austin, Round Rock, Leander, Pflugerville & Cedar Park, Texas
If you are battling a cockroach infestation and can’t seem to get rid of them on your own, you can rely on the pest professionals at A-Tex Pest Management to help. Call us today!