If you have noticed that there are a great deal of wasps in your yard, you may be wondering what in the world is attracting them? These aggressive pests can ruin the time you spend in your backyard if they aren’t kept under control. There are certain things that may be in your backyard that is attracting them, that you can get rid of so that you will hopefully see less wasp activity in the future. A-Tex Pest Management is here to point out what does attract wasps and what you can do to solve the problem.
Why are Wasps Swarming Over Grass & Hovering Over Lawn?
There are certain things that will attract wasps to your yard. They are looking for certain conditions to survive and build their nests. Following are the attractants that could be lurking in your yard.
– Wasps Build Nests Under Eaves: Wasps are always looking for a spot to build their nests that will be somewhat protected. The eaves and ceilings on your house and front porch are often a common place that they will build a nest.
– Paper Wasps Look for Weathered Wood: Paper wasps which are a common species found in our area, are looking for old wood they can use to build their nest. The queen chews up wood and makes a papery pulp with her saliva that she spits out and the workers use it to construct the nest.
– Wasps Eat Protein Food: Wasps actually look for protein as their main source of food. They will eat other insects as well as any protein that you are eating. If they have built a nest near your home, they are finding the food supply they need around your home.
– Wasps Can Shelter Indoors: While wasps won’t reuse an old nest from season to season, a queen is always looking for somewhere inside your home that she can over winter so that a new nest can be built the next season.
How to Keep Wasps Away from Your House, Deck & Yard
The best way to keep wasps from infiltrating your property is a good exclusion program with a professional pest control company. However, there are several things that you can do to make your home less appealing to these aggressive pests as well.
– Put a lid that is tight fitting on your trash to keep wasps out of it.
– If you have fruit trees, don’t allow fruit to lie on the ground as the sweet, rotting fruit will attract wasps.
– If there are any leaking pipes or water issues on your property, have them fixed as they attract wasps.
– Don’t leave food out after get togethers as wasps are attracted to the food you eat as well.
Wasp Inspections, Control, Removal & More in Round Rock, Leander, Pflugerville, Cedar Park & Austin Texas
If you are struggling with a wasp infestation that you can’t seem to get under control on your own, it’s time to call the professionals at A-Tex Pest Management to safely eliminate the wasps population on your property. Call us today!