Squirrels are one of those animals that look innocent and cuddly enough. While they may look innocent, when they infest the attic of your home, they are anything but. They can cause a large amount of damage if they are left to build their nest in your attic. Luckily there are ways you can prevent squirrels from getting into your attic in the first place. A-Tex Pest Management is here to talk about some of the damage that squirrels can cause and how you can keep them out of your attic in the future.
Squirrels Chewing on Wood & Other Surfaces
Squirrels, like many other small rodents, like to chew. They will chew on anything that isn’t metal, stone or concrete. The main problem that comes from their chewing is electrical issues. They love to chew through wires which can pose a fire threat as well as cause problems with your electricity. Following are some other problems that are caused by squirrels chewing and other squirrel damage:
– Squirrels Chewing Wood: Squirrels chew holes through wood, usually to gain access into your home. They can chew holes up to four inches in diameter which leaves your home susceptible to other pests and structural damage as well.
– Squirrels Eating Roof Shingles?: While they don’t necessarily chew holes through your shingles, they can cause damage in this area which will be a problem the next time it rains.
– Squirrels Chew PVC & Plastic: If they chew through some of the plastic PVC pipes that makes up your plumbing, it can cause issues. They are also known to chew on outdoor furniture as well.
– Squirrels Chew Insulation in Attic: When they are building their nests, they usually do it in the insulation found in your attic. This compromises the integrity of your insulation, and their feces are left behind which can cause horrible odors.
Squirrel Prevention Tips
There are many ways that you can stop squirrels before they make their way into your home. Following are some prevention tips to help save you from the damage they cause.
– Seal Entrances: This is the first line of defense against squirrels. They don’t require a large hole to gain access into your house. Close up any small holes around your home to keep them out.
– Chimney Cap: Squirrels will make their nest in your chimney as well as your attic. Putting a cap on your chimney, or a screen will help you avoid this.
– Trim Trees Away from House: Keep your trees trimmed so that they can’t jump off limbs onto your roof.
Squirrel Wildlife Inspections, Removal & More in Austin, Round Rock, Leander, Pflugerville & Cedar Park, Texas
If you have a squirrel problem in your attic, it is important that you act quickly to get rid of them. They can be difficult to remove on your own and may require the help of the pest professionals at A-Tex Pest Management to get rid of them for you. We are experienced in removing squirrels and have the equipment needed to do it successfully. Call us today if you are experiencing a squirrel infestation.