With bed bug infestations on the rise over the last decade, you have to constantly be on guard. Soon students will be flocking to their new homes at the schools they will be attending for the 2016-2017 school year. Unfortunately, college campuses are just like everywhere else, and bed bugs seem to be infiltrating them. A-Tex Pest Management would like to share some tips to help you avoid a run-in with this invasive pest.
How to Avoid Bed Bugs While Sleeping on College Campuses
The close quarters of college dormitories make the perfect environment for bed bugs. Having so many students and rooms so close also means that a bed bug infestation can get out of hand in a hurry. Here are some tips to help you avoid bed bugs in your college dorm:
1. Do a Thorough Inspection– Before you even bring any of your belongings into your room, make sure you give it a good search. You will want to use a flashlight to see in those dark hiding places where bed bugs run for cover during the day. You will want to check behind any headboards or nightstands, cracks and crevices, and of course the mattress for any blood smears or cast skins left behind by bed bugs.
2. Purchase Bed Bug Proof Covers– You can purchase bed bug proof covers for your mattress, pillow and even your box spring at the store to help keep your bed safe from any infestations.
3. Wash & Dry Used Clothing– When you are in school and money is tight, you might be finding some used clothing to help fill your closet. Before you bring any used clothing home to put in your closet, you will want to wash it. Washing and drying it on the highest heat setting possible without damaging it, will get rid of any bed bugs that might be present.
4. Check Textbooks for Bed Bugs– Bed bugs have been found hiding in between the pages of textbooks. They will hide anywhere they can during the day since they are nocturnal. Before you bring home that book from the library, give it a good check to make sure you aren’t bringing home bed bugs.
5. Avoid Used Furniture– When attending college, many students will jump for joy when they get a good piece of used furniture. It’s best to avoid used furniture all together, but if you find yourself getting any pieces of furniture, give it a thorough check and cleaning before bringing it home.
6. Keep your Room Tidy– I know time is a hot commodity in college, but a few minutes a day to keep your room clean, will go a long way in avoiding a bed bug infestation.
7. Keep your Backpack Off the Floor– When you are out and about, keep your backpack off the floor. It is also best to keep it away from those sitting next to you as well. This way you won’t pick up any unwanted hitch hikers.
Bed Bug Inspections, Prevention, Treatment, Control & Removal in Austin, Round Rock, Leander, Pflugerville & Cedar Park, Texas
If you suspect you have a bed bug infestation, it is almost impossible to take care of it on your own. You will need to get in contact with your landlord or building manager right away to get help in the matter. A-Tex Pest Management offers all the help you need with any bed bug infestations that might be plaguing you. Call us today!